UFA’s products are widely used in the industry to test and verify operational ATC systems.
ATCoach, for example, is integrated with Air Traffic Control functions, such as Radar Data Processing and Flight Data Processing Systems. ATCoach’s role is to deliver simulated radar and flight plan data to the ATC Systems. In this way, ATCoach’s role is similar to that as in the simulation environment. The goal in this environment is to quantitatively analyze and verify, with data of known characteristics, the functional- ity and performance of ATC functions.
As a test and evaluation tool, ATCoach has been used in the following roles:
- Provide radar and flight data input for ATC function integration and test. In this role, the ATC function developers have used ATCoach to provide test data during internal integration and testing. This includes use by Software En- gineers to test software components prior to delivery to integration and test.
- Provide radar and flight data input for ATC function system acceptance testing. In this role, the ATC function developers have used ATCoach to provide test data for verification of system requirements during the acceptance process. ATCoach is applied for the following types of requirement verification:
- System Performance and Capacity: Exercise files are developed to provide maximum stress workloads (number of targets, radar, messages, etc.) to the ATC functions.
- Functional Testing: Exercise files are devel- oped so that ATC functions are activated and results visually or analytically verified.
- Functional Performance Testing: Exercise files are developed to provide known data input to the ATC functions. Results of processing are collected and analyzed to determine if specific accuracy and response time requirements are met.
- Provide data for regression testing of new releases of software as they are accepted into integration and test or the system test environment.
In each of these applications ATCoach is generally installed on a single hardware platform and used by System, Software and Test Engineers to per- form testing and evaluation.